While not suitable for every vacation, a duration of three or four days can be valuable, especially for couples planning a long weekend getaway. It allows for a quick escape, exploration of nearby destinations, and relaxation. Ultimately, the ideal duration depends on individual preferences, the purpose of the trip, and the specific circumstances surrounding the vacation.
Couples may encounter various obstacles that prevent them from finding or creating time for vacations. Some common factors include work demands, financial constraints, family obligations, health challenges, and general time constraints, to name a few. Well, we say don’t let these things stop you from spending quality time together—after all, for most of us, creating meaningful moments with our partners is the most gratifying way to spend our time
Although not every vacation is inherently romantic, numerous couples deliberately select destinations and activities that cultivate romance and strengthen their connection. The blend of escaping routine, experiencing a change in scenery, and the chance to build shared memories frequently transforms vacations into a romantic and cherished component of a relationship.
Fun Ideas for Long Weekend Getaways for Couples
Enjoyable long getaways for couples allow for quality bonding time which helps to revive the romance, infusing it with new energy and excitement. Also, it doesn’t matter if you’re celebrating a milestone or just looking for some stress relief, creating new memorable moments together will boost your intimacy and connection.
Destinations in the USA
The shared experiences during these trips contribute significantly to the overall health and longevity of the relationship. Luckily, there are countless long weekend getaways for couples in the USA and even some international ones.
Below are some suggestions across different regions in the USA—or, jump down to see the international options.
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
The Grand Canyon, an awe-inspiring geological marvel in northern Arizona, is a vast and majestic landscape carved by the Colorado River, showcasing breathtaking rock formations and revealing millions of years of Earth’s geological history.
- Marvel at the breathtaking views of the Grand Canyon.
- Take a helicopter flight or hiking tour for a more immersive experience.
- Enjoy stargazing in one of the designated dark-sky areas.
New York City, New York
New York City, the epitome of urban dynamism, is a bustling metropolis renowned for its iconic skyline, diverse neighborhoods, and cultural landmarks, and as a global hub for finance, fashion, and the arts.
- Explore iconic landmarks like Times Square, Central Park, and the Statue of Liberty.
- Visit world-class museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA).
- Enjoy Broadway shows and diverse culinary experiences.
New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans, a melting pot of cultures along the Mississippi River, is renowned for its lively music scene, distinctive Creole cuisine, historic architecture, and festive celebrations like Mardi Gras.
- Immerse yourself in the unique culture of the French Quarter with its jazz clubs and lively atmosphere.
- Enjoy authentic Creole and Cajun cuisine on a food tour.
- Take a steamboat cruise along the Mississippi River.
Sedona, set against the backdrop of stunning red rock formations in Arizona, is a spiritual and natural haven, known for its breathtaking landscapes, vibrant art community, and New Age spiritual retreats.
- Experience the stunning red rock formations and hike in the beautiful landscapes.
- Relax in the spas and wellness resorts.
- Take a Jeep tour to explore the rugged terrain.
Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina, is a historic and charming city known for its well-preserved antebellum architecture, cobblestone streets, Southern hospitality, and rich cultural heritage.
- Stroll through historic neighborhoods like Rainbow Row and the Battery.
- Explore plantations such as Boone Hall Plantation.
- Enjoy the southern charm and delicious Lowcountry cuisine.
Asheville, North Carolina
Asheville, nestled in the picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, is a charming city celebrated for its eclectic arts scene, vibrant craft breweries, and outdoor recreational opportunities.
- Visit the Biltmore Estate, America’s largest privately-owned home.
- Explore the vibrant arts scene in the River Arts District.
- Hike or go kayaking in the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains.
Miami, a vibrant coastal city in southeastern Florida, is renowned for its glamorous beaches, diverse cultural influences, Art Deco architecture, and dynamic nightlife scene.
- Relax on the beautiful beaches of South Beach or get out on the ocean.
- Explore the vibrant neighborhoods of Little Havana and Wynwood.
- Enjoy the nightlife and diverse culinary scene.
San Francisco, California
San Francisco, a vibrant city on the California coast, is known for its iconic Golden Gate Bridge, historic cable cars, diverse neighborhoods, and a rich cultural tapestry.
- Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge and explore Golden Gate Park.
- Visit Alcatraz Island for its historic prison and stunning views of the city.
- Take a cable car ride or a hippy bus and explore vibrant neighborhoods like Chinatown and Fisherman’s Wharf.
Choosing the best international long weekend getaways for couples depends on your interests and preferences, as well as the time of year and your budget. If you’re looking for international destinations that are less than a 3-hour nonstop flight from the USA, you’ll generally be limited to locations in North America and the Caribbean.
Below are a range of different choices.
Cancun is a vibrant Mexican coastal resort city known for its stunning white-sand beaches, all-inclusive resorts, turquoise waters, and lively entertainment, making it a popular destination for tourists seeking a tropical paradise.
- Relax on the beautiful beaches of the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Explore the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza or Tulum.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife and enjoy water activities.
Dublin, the capital of Ireland, is a city rich in history and culture, with its charming blend of medieval and modern architecture, lively pubs, and friendly locals. By air, travelers can reach Dublin from the northeastern coast in approximately 6½ hours. Considering the time difference, if you depart Dublin in the late afternoon, you will arrive back in the United States approximately three hours later—this is our pick for the best long weekend getaways for couples.
- Immerse yourself in Irish culture and history, and take the Guinness Storehouse Tour.
- Visit Trinity College and the Book of Kells, explore Dublin Castle, and stroll along the River Liffey.
- Enjoy traditional Irish music in the pubs and savor the local cuisine.
Quebec City, Canada
Québec City, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a charming Canadian city with a European flair, characterized by its cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and the iconic Château Frontenac overlooking the St. Lawrence River.
- Experience a blend of European and North American culture and cuisine.
- Explore Old Quebec with its cobblestone streets, historic architecture, and vibrant arts scene.
- Enjoy French-inspired cuisine and visit the city’s many museums.
Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas, is a tropical paradise featuring vibrant pastel-colored buildings, pristine white-sand beaches, and a lively atmosphere enriched with Bahamian culture and history.
– Relax on the stunning beaches and visit the famous swimming pigs.
– Explore historical sites like Fort Charlotte and the Queen’s Staircase.
– Experience the vibrant local culture and cuisine.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta, nestled along Mexico’s Pacific coastline, is a picturesque resort town renowned for its golden beaches, vibrant nightlife, charming cobblestone streets, and breathtaking views of the Bay of Banderas.
- Enjoy the beaches and explore the Malecon boardwalk.
- Take a boat tour on Chica, the Limousine Of The Sea.
- Experience the local art scene in the Zona Romantica.
San Jose, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica, is a bustling Central American capital surrounded by lush mountains, known for its vibrant cultural scene, and historic architecture, and as a gateway to the country’s diverse natural wonders.
- Explore the rich biodiversity, and go zipling in the nearby Arenal Volcano National Park.
- Visit the historic neighborhoods of San Jose.
- Experience the beauty of Costa Rica’s landscapes through eco-tours.
Mexico City, Mexico
Mexico City, the bustling capital of Mexico, is a dynamic metropolis blending ancient Aztec heritage with modernity, featuring vibrant street markets, historic landmarks, and a thriving cultural scene.
- Explore the historic center, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Visit the Frida Kahlo Museum and fly over the ancient ruins of Teotihuacan in a hot air balloon.
- Enjoy delicious Mexican cuisine and vibrant street markets.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
San Juan, Puerto Rico, is a captivating city characterized by its colorful colonial architecture, historic forts, vibrant street life, and a captivating blend of Caribbean and Spanish influences.
- Immerse yourself in the rich history of Old San Juan with its colorful colonial architecture.
- Relax on the beautiful beaches and take a day trip to Culebra by catamaran.
- Explore the El Yunque National Forest for hiking and waterfalls.
Vancouver, a Canadian coastal city nestled between mountains and the Pacific Ocean, is celebrated for its stunning natural scenery, diverse cultural offerings, and harmonious urban lifestyle.
- Explore the diverse neighborhoods like Gastown (on this food tour) and Granville Island.
- Visit Stanley Park for outdoor activities and stunning views.
- Take a stroll along the seawall or explore the Museum of Anthropology.
When it comes to long weekend getaways for couples, remember to check for any travel restrictions, entry requirements, and visa regulations before planning your trip, as these factors can vary depending on the destination. The “best” destination depends on your interests and preferences. Whether you’re into nature, culture, history, or simply relaxation, there’s a wide range of options to consider for memorable long weekend getaways for couples.
We Need Your Help
Did you find this article helpful? If so, bookmark it and when you’re planning your next vacation click on any of the links below before finalizing reservations. You’ll get the best price, we’ll earn a small commission, and you’ll help support future articles.
BEST TRAVEL SEARCH ENGINES
🏘️ Book Your Accommodation
✈️ Book Your Flight in Advance