Exploring the island of Kauai on a helicopter tour is the optimal way to witness its magnificence. Given that Kauai’s interior and the renowned Napali coast are inaccessible by car, the aerial perspective offers a breathtaking experience. Kauai, arguably, stands out as the prime Hawaiian island for a helicopter tour. So, fasten your seatbelt and prepare for a truly unforgettable adventure.
Opting for one of these Kauai helicopter tours typically involves soaring over Waimea Canyon, the Napali Coast, Tunnels Beach, Mt. Waialeale, numerous waterfalls, and more. Most flights last around an hour, with choices for shorter or longer durations, including stopovers. Departure points include Lihue Airport, the island’s primary airstrip, and Princeville Airport, located on the north side of Kauai.
Flying Over Kauai is Mind-Blowing
During our recent journey through the Hawaiian island of Kauai, we couldn’t resist the opportunity to experience a helicopter flight with the doors off over the island’s renowned Napali coastline! Although helicopter tours may come with a substantial cost, certain destinations are simply meant to be captured from the unique perspective of a helicopter—like the Grand Canyon or high above the glaciers in Alaska.
The sheer beauty of Kauai is awe-inspiring. The Napali Coast, characterized by scalloped cliffs that rise majestically above the turquoise waters of the Pacific Ocean, resembles scenes from postcards and iconic Jurassic Park movies.
However, just like on some areas in Maui, accessing the renowned Napali Coast and much of the island’s interior is impossible by car, making a helicopter flight the perfect means to soar above these stunning landscapes.
Below are the two helicopter rides we went on—one with doors-off and one with doors-on. Initially, we’ll discuss the doors-off experience since that’s the one just about everyone wants to hear about first.
💰 Budget-Savvy Tip: It’s advisable to schedule your helicopter tour early in your vacation, allowing flexibility for rescheduling in case of inclement weather on your initially chosen date.
Best Doors-Off Kauai Helicopter Tour
Recently, we decided to go on a doors-off helicopter tour over Kauai—it was insane but also very peaceful. Undoubtedly, this was the most memorable aspect of our stay in Kauai (during both trips). It ranks among the most extraordinary experiences we’ve ever had.
Expressing the sensation of witnessing such beauty from the air is beyond words, and opting for a helicopter with no doors was unquestionably the perfect choice! We went with Air Kauai Helicopters because they fly Airbus AStars—pilots can remove the door so that there’s one giant opening.
Magnum P.I. Helicopter
However, if you prefer the Magnum P.I. look, you should check out the Hughes 500 (MD500) Doors-Off Tour flown by Airborne Aviation Tours. Moreover, the Hughes 500 is a bit smaller and lighter (meaning more potential turbulence), only allowing four passengers versus five on the Eurocopter AStar. Also, the structure of the Hughes 500 doesn’t allow for the entire window to be open due to a support beam separating the front and back row passengers.
Nevertheless, if you’re a diehard fan of the show, you should head to Oahu and go on the Magnum Doors-Off Helicopter Ride in a Magnum P.I. lookalike chopper. Now, that would be a cool experience!
Best Doors-On Kauai Helicopter Tour
Our very first helicopter tour over Kauai was with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters in a traditional doors-on helicopter, and it was amazing! They utilize Airbus Eco-Stars and Airbus A-Stars designed specifically for flight tours—the Airbus Eco-Stars are the most state-of-the-art and most comfortable tourism-based helicopters available. In our opinion, the Eco-Stars are the safest and most trustworthy helicopters on the market.
Established in 1985 and recognized by National Geographic as “Hawaii’s premier helicopter tour company,” Blue Hawaiian holds the distinction of being the sole provider servicing all of Hawaii’s major islands—Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. Pioneering innovation in the industry, Blue Hawaiian introduced the extraordinary Eco-Star, the world’s inaugural 21st-century touring helicopter.
Doors-Off vs. Doors-On > Kauai Helicopter Tours
When reserving a helicopter tour, you may encounter the choice between a doors-on or doors-off option, a decision that can significantly alter your helicopter ride in various ways. The selection between the two depends on your preferences and the experience you seek from your helicopter tour.
Here are some considerations that differentiate a doors-off and doors-on helicopter experience:
- Doors-Off: Ideal for capturing pictures with an unobstructed view and without window glare, allowing for a broader range of scenery. Highly recommended for amateur and professional aerial photography or videography. If this interests you, be sure to check out this photography-focused Kauai helicopter tour.
- Doors-On: Offers good photo opportunities, but may limit the scope and angles for capturing images.
💰 Budget-Savvy Tip: Be sure to read this article on how to take photos from a helicopter before your flight.
Route Around the Island
- Doors-Off or Doors-On: The route for all helicopters, regardless of doors-off or doors-on follows a similar route—clockwise around the island. If you’re an aviation nerd like Harry you can go to Flightradar24 and watch the routes the helicopters fly.
Value on Heights vs. Sights
- Doors-Off: Provides a more thrilling experience, especially if you prioritize the full-flight adventure and the sensation of soaring to new heights.
- Doors-On: Still offers a spectacular view of landmarks; suitable if you primarily want to enjoy the sights without the emphasis on the helicopter experience.
Fear of Heights
- Doors-Off: Exhilarating and breathtaking for many, but some individuals might experience anxiety due to the more open feel. Despite the lack of doors, a helicopter tour ensures a high level of safety with passengers comfortably tethered inside.
- Doors-On: Offers a sense of enclosed security, suitable for those with apprehensions about an open setting.
Flying with Others
- Doors-Off or Doors-On: Consider the preferences of all passengers. Some may prefer the excitement of no doors, while others may prioritize a closed-door experience. Some services may offer a compromise, allowing one side open and another closed.
- Doors-Off: Higher altitudes can bring increased wind and chill; advisable to dress accordingly with a light jacket and, if taking pictures, consider wearing gloves.
- Doors-On: Less exposed to the elements, making it more comfortable for those sensitive to cold.
- Compromise: Some services may allow a mix of open and closed doors depending on passenger preferences.
- Discuss Preferences: Communicate your door preferences and whether you plan to take pictures with the helicopter tour service in advance.
Whether you seek the thrill of a doors-off adventure or the comfort of doors-on security, there are plenty of Kauai helicopter tours available to meet your preferences.
Especially during peak travel periods, booking ahead is advisable. Also, if you opt for the doors-off tour don’t forget to bring a light water-resistant jacket. Enjoy the flight!
We Need Your Help
Did you find this article useful? If so, bookmark it and when you’re planning your next vacation click on any of the links below before finalizing reservations. You’ll get the best price, we’ll earn a small commission, and you’ll help support future articles.
🏘️ Book Your Accommodation
✈️ Book Your Flight in Advance