Are you looking for the safest and cheapest countries to visit in 2023? Just about everyone we know wants to travel to a new and exciting country this year. However, the majority of travelers’ primary concerns seem to center around safety and budget.
After all, anybody can do “cheap,” but this is your vacation and you shouldn’t have to worry about wearing a money belt or getting your purse stolen. We believe our best travel experiences have been in destinations where we can let our guard down to focus on enjoying the beauty and culture of a country.
Safest and Cheapest Countries to Visit in 2023
All of the countries listed below have been rated by the U.S. Department of State as the safest countries in the world to visit in 2023. We’ve taken these “Level 1” countries and compared them against the Global Peace Index to ensure overall safety for travelers.
Additionally, a cost-benefit analysis was completed to recommend the “cheapest” countries that offer amazing and unique travel experiences, while also being extremely safe.
When you’re ready to book your next flight, follow these three easy steps to get the best price.
Going on safari is typically extremely expensive, but in Zambia, it’s quite affordable when compared to its neighboring countries. Best of all, you can still see ‘The Big Five‘ here which includes lions, elephants, rhinoceros, leopards, and Cape buffalo. Use the automated and hassle-free quiz tool below to get a quick quote on a safari to Zambia.
Zambia is most famous for its waterfall, Victoria Falls. Considered to be the largest waterfall on the planet, visiting “Vic Falls” is an out-of-this-world experience. Furthermore, locals refer to it as “Mosi-oa-tuna,” which means the “smoke that thunders. “ This is because onlookers can see the mist from about 15 miles away. Let’s not forget to mention the people who are some of the nicest on the planet!
You can also visit Livingstone, Zambia, a captivating destination where the mighty Victoria Falls roars with breathtaking grandeur, earning its title as the “Smoke that Thunders.” Prepare to be mesmerized by the stunning cascades and immerse yourself in the lush landscapes teeming with wildlife. From exhilarating safaris to serene river cruises, Livingston offers an unforgettable African adventure for every traveler’s soul.
| Best tours to explore Livingstone:
🏨 Recommended Accommodation: Shongwe Lookout
Top-5 Tours in Zambia
- ⛰️ Discover an infinity pool at the top of Victoria Falls during this Devil’s Pool at Victoria Falls Morning Tour from Livingstone
- 🐘 Take a tour of Chobe National Park and get ready for a safari cruise and experience breathtaking wildlife populations
- 🍲 Get ready to taste some of Zambia’s local delicacies in this Food Cooking Class in Lusaka
- 🌊 This guided tour includes excursions on both sides of Victoria Falls and also explores the history and culture of the area
- 🛶 Hop aboard a raft for a rip-roaring ride through the whitewater rapids of the Zambezi River, just at the foot of Victoria Falls
😉 → Use Go2Africa’s automated quiz tool to get a quick quote and build the perfect safari for your budget.
Republic of Georgia
During the last few years, Georgia has attempted to transform itself into a more modern hub to attract tourists. The revival included building new airports, paving roads, and heavily promoting the country online.
Georgia is located on the Black Sea, bordering Russia, Turkey, Armenia, and Azerbaijan. Most Americans would assume a trip here would be unsafe, however, Georgia’s overall level of safety makes it one of the best cheap places to travel. In fact, these days the only thing that may be dangerous for tourists is the local chacha (brandy), which can easily reach 170 proof.
As a destination for hikers, the Transcaucasian Trail is the ultimate journey. Walkers trek through some of the highest towns in Europe and eat and drink like kings. Each night hikers are greeted with fantastic local delicacies. Typical dishes include meat skewers, stews, homemade dumplings, and wine from some of the oldest vineyards on the planet.
🏨 Recommended Accommodation: Communal Hotel Plekhanovi
Top-5 Tours in Georgia
- ⛰️ Tour the Caucasus Mountains safely, without having to drive yourself on scary roads, on this guided day tour
- 🍷 Discover historic sites and scenery of the wine region in Mtskheta, Bodbe, Badiauri, and Sighnaghi on this Day Trip Including Wine Tastings
- 🌄 Travel into the magnificent peaks of north Georgia on a full-day trip from Tbilisi to Jvari Monastery, Ananuri Fortified Castle Ensemble, and other sights
- 🚶 Take in Tbilisi’s top attractions and sample the flavors Georgians love on this private full-day Tbilisi sightseeing tour
- 🍲 Spend a day learning about Georgian cuisine as you walk around the capital city of Tbilisi on this tour
Chile is a place of natural extremes. There’s Patagonia in the south, a beautiful wine country in the middle, and the Atacama Desert in the north. Let’s not forget about the monstrous Andes Mountains and the divine Easter Island.
There’s so much to see here that the hardest thing will be for you to narrow down the highlights into a realistic itinerary. While in the capital Santiago, don’t forget to head up to Cerro San Cristóbal for views of the city at sunset.
🏨 Recommended Accommodation: DoubleTree by Hilton Santiago – Vitacura
There’s a reason Costa Rica has once again climbed to the top of the Happy Planet Index rankings. It has crazy amounts of wildlife and is known as one of the happiest countries on the planet. The recent murder of an American tourist at an Airbnb has brought on some bad publicity for the country, but overall the country is considered safe. Tourists should still exercise normal precautions.
🏨 Recommended Accommodation: Capitán Suizo Beachfront Boutique Hotel
Looking for a unique country to explore? There’s never been a better time to visit Macedonia. The country has so much to offer, but it seems like much of the world hasn’t realized it yet. Macedonia feels like it’s just on the brink of becoming an emerging tourist destination. Take advantage of it!
Outside of Lake Ohrid, we received lots of curious stares and questions from locals wondering why we were in their country. In fact, Macedonians seemed genuinely surprised when we told them how much we were enjoying our tour.
Mass tourism hasn’t ruined travel here yet. Locals are warm, welcoming, and friendly. Prices are extremely affordable. Attractions are often uncrowded. If you enjoy getting off the beaten path then Macedonia is a great country to explore.
Accommodation: Skopje Marriott Hotel
Top-5 Tours in Macedonia
- ⛰️ This tour is a combination of some of the most famous landmarks around Skopje, like the Millenium Cross on the top of Vodno Mountain and Matka Canyon
- 🍷 Join the warm and welcoming wine experience in the heart of nature and the calmness of the St. Cosmas and Damian Monastery with this tour
- 🚶 During this day tour, we will explore the heritage and culture of one country in the Western Balkans – Kosovo
- 🏍️ Experience the lush landscapes of Macedonia as you explore Galicica National Park on an exciting ATV tour
- 🚢 End your busy day of sightseeing in Ohrid with a relaxing ride on the lake during the golden hour
Taiwan is considered one of the safest countries in the world. After traveling throughout the country for about a month, we can verify this statement.
The “island” felt completely safe and was extremely easy to navigate. Additionally, when you include the food, the scenery, and the unique culture, there’s little doubt that Taiwan should be much higher on people’s bucket lists.
One of the main reasons we visited Taiwan was that we always wanted to tour China, but didn’t like the idea of paying the $140 visa fee. If you’re staying less than 90 days in Taiwan, you don’t need a tourist visa!
Accommodation: Just Sleep Hualien Zhongzheng
Top-5 Tours in Taiwan
- 🏞️ Without having to travel far away, through this guided day tour from Taipei, you can discover the unique charm of the rural districts along the north and northeast coast of Taiwan
- ⛰️ Explore the mountains of Taroko National Park on this private day tour from Hualien
- 🚶 If you’ve only got limited time in Taipei join this Full-Day Private Northern Taiwan Tour from Taipei with Pickup
- 🏕️ Take a break from your busy schedule and the hustle and bustle of the city, go on a tour to Yangmingshan National Park and Beitou District, and embrace the beauty of nature
- 🍲 Take this Street Food Tour in Taipei to explore regional specialties
We Need Your Help
Did you find this article helpful? If so, bookmark it and when you’re planning your next vacation click on any of the links below before finalizing reservations. You’ll get the best price, we’ll earn a small commission, and you’ll help support future articles.
BEST TRAVEL SEARCH ENGINES
🏘️ Book Your Accommodation
✈️ Book Your Flight in Advance